Every year there are some stellar deals in the Twin Cities on Sparkling Wines & Champagnes and some seriously bad deals out there. We will start with the best.
- NV Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Réserve – France, Champagne (12/25/2022)
Didn’t make it to day 2. My wife usually does not like Champagne but loved this one. Chalk, minerals, dried fruit, lemon, orange peel and mild spice. Nice acidity. Thank you Haskell’s for offering this at $29.99. (92 points)
- NV Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Réserve – France, Champagne (12/10/2022)
Day 1: Disgorged 2020. This is really nice and even nicer is the $30 price tag. Chalk, dough, lemon zest, orange rind, spice, a drop of honey and minerals. This is complex, refreshing and a wonderful NV effort. Highly recommend. 92+ points
Day 2: Still solid but for sure consume on day 1. Chalk, lemon, minerals, spice, orange peel and nice acidity. Medium plus finish. 90 points
Recommendation: Drink now to 2028. (92 points)
2. Might be 1 but just picked it up today from Morelli’s today. Usually on the Monday Madness they have a lot left over so call them to see. Rose Champagne at $29.99 is not heard of in today’s market. Needed to be picked up today so call Saturday and see if they have extra.
3. Liquor Boy in St. Louis Park has some really nice deals. Roederer Anderson Valley is by far the best Sparkling Wine in the US for the money. Look for disgorgement dates on the neck of the bottle. If it is 9/2020 buy it all. 2/2022 is good but not as good.
- NV Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley – USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/30/2022)
Disgorgement date 2/2022. Not nearly as good as the 9/2020 so look for that. This was lighter in style with topical fruit, minerals, mild chalk and sour apple. While it is very nice not at the level of previous efforts. (88 points)
- NV Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley – USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/27/2022)
Well day 3 and still solid. Normally these don’t make it to day 3 but still plenty of bubbles. Lemon, lime, spice, sour apple, pie crust, minerals and chalk. Another outstanding effort and yes Sparkling wine can make it to day 3 and still be vibrant and expressive.
Disgorgement date: 9/2020 (92 points)
Two high end Champagne’s if you have the money also at Liquor Boy
2014 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut (France, Champagne) $249.99 BEST price in the county
2012 Dom Pérignon Champagne (France, Champagne) $249.99. Cristal much better value.
4. Morelli’s in General. Some good deals.
Mumm Brut Prestige $14.99 & Scharffenberger Brut $17.97
Not Good Deals
- Anything at Surdyk’s. Highest prices in town. Pop up 2 for $20 at Haskell’s. Surdyk’s $18.99.
- Veuve. Not good anyway but $69.99 at Surdyk’s vs. Liquor Boy $51.99
- Roederer for $28.49 vs. Liquor Boy $19.99
- Barefoot Bubbly (bad anyway but $10.49 vs. $7.79 at Morelli’s.
N.V. Charles Heidsieck Champagne Brut Rosé Reserve (France, Champagne)