A great first day in Washington State with visits to Januik and Long Shadows. Januik Impressed with many wines representing great while I found Long Shadows to be a disappointment. Service was outstanding at both wineries and Januik was genourous with the tasting pours. It was also nice to be able to talk with Mike Januik for a while at the tasting room.
Novelty Hill/ Januik Winery
A very nice tasting and great service at Januik in Woodinville. A really nice setup and generous tasting pours.
- 2021 Novelty Hill Winery Spring Run Stillwater Creek Vineyard – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
Tasting pour at the winery: Strawberry, minerals and straw. Short finish but lacks acidity. Better Rose options out there. (85 pts.)
- 2019 Novelty Hill Winery Oxbow GSM (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) Stillwater Creek Vineyard – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
Pepper, spice, cherry, smoke and dark berries. A bit tight right now and will benefit with age. 90+ (90 pts.)
- 2018 Novelty Hill Winery Cascadia – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
Really nice wine with Bing cherries, blueberries, cigar, dust and earth. This is drinking surprising well for such a young wine and will continue to improve. (93 pts.)
- 2018 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon Quintessence – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain
This needs some time. Big wine with firms tannins. Dark fruits, leather, oak, vanilla and plum. Medium finish. Hold until 2026. (90 pts.)
- 2018 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon Ciel du Cheval Vineyard – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain
Always like this vineyard and Januik makes a good one. Blueberries, sour cherries, earth, dust, floral and stone. Medium plus finish. (93 pts.)
- 2019 Novelty Hill Winery Il Corvo – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
Light purple in color. Tobacco, rustic, earth and watery on the finish. Lacks complexity and I would hold at this point. 87 points
- 2019 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain
Red Mountain fruit and powerful wine with pepper, spice, earth, red peppers and dark fruits. Long finish. 92+ (92 pts.)
- 2019 Januik Syrah Ciel du Cheval Vineyard – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain
The best wine tasted at Januik today but not by much. This wine was wonderful on the pop and pour. Perfume, black pepper, blackberries, spice, earth and dust. Medium to long finish. Concentrated effort. 93-95. (93 pts.)
- 2019 Novelty Hill Winery Sangiovese Stillwater Creek Vineyard – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
One of my least favorites at the tasting. Just not loving Sangiovese from Washington but I am sure I will one day. Clay, minerals, rose petals and a buttery finish. (87 pts.)
2019 Januik Syrah was the wine of the tasting but not much.
For sure disappointed on their wines but this is why I do the 3 day wine review approach as these wines were tight and would advise them to open a day prior to serve the customer.
- 2020 Long Shadows Wineries Riesling Poet’s Leap – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
As far as wines drinking the best at the tasting this one was and of course does not need cellar time. Peach, sour apple, pear and minerals. A touch of grapefruit on the finish. (90 pts.)
- 2019 Long Shadows Wineries Chardonnay Dance – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Horse Heaven Hills
The nose on this wine is nice but the palate is less impressive. Chablis like nose with shells, lemon and spice. Palate features oak, lemon, spice and apple. A lighter style wine but lacks complexity overall. (89 pts.)
- 2018 Long Shadows Wineries Saggi – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
58% Sangiovese, 30 Cabernet and 12% Syrah. Just not showing a ton right now. Dry with sawdust, cherry, dried herbs, spice and earth. I would hold this but right now not drinking well. Probably would be better on day 2 or 3. Every now and then I see a wine that is overrated on Cellar Tracker but this goes to a new level. 88-90 points. (88 pts.)
- 2018 Long Shadows Wineries Merlot Pedestal – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
Better than the first 2 Long Shadow wines. 82% Merlot, 14% Cabernet and 4% Malbec. Spice, dark cherries, red bell pepper, blueberries and coffee beans. 92+ (92 pts.)
- 2018 Long Shadows Wineries Pirouette – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
Spice, plum, oak, cherry and earth. Firm tannins. Needs time as they seem to use new French oak on their wines and this shows. (90 pts.)
- 2018 Long Shadows Wineries Chester-Kidder – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
64% Cabernet, 28% Syrah and 4 Petit Verdot. Oak, cherry, smoke, vanilla, plum and spices. Again needs some serious time to develop. (91 pts.)
- 2018 Long Shadows Wineries Syrah Sequel – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley
The best showing of the Long Shadow wines. Dark cherry, coffee beans, menthol, spice floral notes. Medium finish. (92 pts.)
Their tasting room is very nice.