I have been a fan of WTSO for well over a decade and they are offering weekly wine classes featuring various wineries. This is a wonderful chance to taste some new wines at a reasonable price and all of the tastings are done by Marc Supsic of Wine Living. Many of these classes not only charge you for the wine but charge you for the education. Not WTSO and they offer free shipping on the wines!
The future lineup for WTSO Weekly Wine Tastings. It is amazing that this Syrah tasting with shipping is only $49.99. The 2014 Syrah is almost worth that price with the wine education you will receive.
This Thursday they are featuring Nimble Vineyards Syrah’s from 2012, 13 and 14. While I can’t make this event live I have reviewed two of the three wines featured at the event and the 14 is amazing.
- 2012 Nimble Vineyards Syrah Nimble Syrah – USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (2/17/2022)
Day 1: 2nd bottle sampled from Nimble Vineyards this week. This is outstanding wine. Sour cherry, minerals, dust, spice, white pepper, mild funk, smoked meats and floral notes. Concentrated effort but balanced. (natural cork) 91 points
Day 2: This is more dense and intense than the 14. Would recommend cellar for 3 to 5 years. Dark berries, dust, spices, black pepper and smoked meats. Medium plus finish. 90 points
Day 3: Lots off spice, pepper and earth. Fruit not as present.
Recommendation: I would hold this wine right now. Drink 2025 to 2030. (91 points)
- 2014 Nimble Vineyards Syrah Nobis Syrah – USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (2/15/2022)
Day 1: Roasted meat, spice, blackberries, black pepper, menthol and matchstick. Really nice balance on this wine. Medium plus finish and concentrated. (Natural cork) 93 points
Day 2: Roasted meats, black pepper, spices, dark fruits, menthol and stone. This is a really well made Syrah that should age another 5 plus years. Medium plus finish. 92 points
Day 3: Not as good as day 1 but still has the nice pepper and roasted meat character. Nice spices on the finish. Well made. 92 points
Recommendation: This certainly is a well-made Syrah that is not over the top and balanced. (93 points)
- 2013 Nimble Vineyards Syrah Nimble Syrah – USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (2/19/2022)
- Day 1: Pop and pour. This is in line with the 14 I had. Better than that the 12 which is bit heavy. Soy, blueberries, crushed rock, spices, blackberries and minerals. Super concentrated and good acidity. Medium to long finish. These Nimble Syrah’s are a nice find from WTSO. 93 points
- Day 1.5: This wine quickly faded in quality. Did not offer much fruit and was spices and earth.
- Day 2: Really not that enjoyable and one of the few wines in recent memory to decline in quality that suddenly after the first hour. 84 points
- Recommendation: This is drink immediately and don’t decant. (93 points)