Great tasting run by Victor Ordonez the son of the legendary importer/wine maker Jorge Ordonez. He really was knowledgeable and well spoken. Amazing how old the vines are for some of these wines.
Smaller group with education on each wine. Great slide shows and highlighted by my wine of the year so far the 2013 Jorge Ordonez 4 Esencia.
- 2017 Bodegas Avancia Valdeorras Cuvée de O – Spain, Galicia, Valdeorras (7/12/2019)
Wonderful wine. Fermented in 35% neutral oak/65% stainless steel. Small berries. One of the hottest white wines in Spain currently. Floral, minerals, stone fruit and lemon zest. Medium finish and very refreshing wine. (90 pts.)
- 2015 Bodegas Ordoñez Rueda Las Suertes Nisia – Spain, Castilla y León, Rueda (7/12/2019)
Wow is this good! Normally not a Verdejo drinker but this is from 100 year old vines. Red clay soil and sand. Fragrant with limestone, floral, stone fruits, matchstick and a touch of sweetness on the finish. Medium plus finish and super complex wine. Price point around $30 a bottle. I highly recommend it. (92 pts.)
- 2017 Bodegas Tritón Tinta de Toro – Spain, Castilla y León, Toro (7/12/2019)
Red currants, spice, licorice, minerals and violets. Powerful wine. Sand soil. Medium to long finish. This represents a very good value. (92 pts.)
- 2014 Bodegas Ordoñez Toro Vatan – Spain, Castilla y León, Toro (7/12/2019)
Vineyard planet in 1900. Old vine offering at 15.5% but does not impact the integrity of the wine. They leave the grapes on longer than most to achieve full ripeness. Good acidity on this wine. Wood, mushroom, leather and earth dominate. Some black currants on the finish. Very old school style wine and I love it. (93 pts.)
- 2014 Bodegas Breca Calatayud Brega – Spain, Aragón, Calatayud (7/12/2019)
The top of the lineup in the Breca portfolio. Always loved the under $15 Breca wine but this is significantly better. Violets, slate, clay, raspberries, Garrique and earth. Concentrated and the 15.9% alcohol does not deter the quality of the wine. Good acidity and this wine should age for 15 to 20 years. (93 pts.)
- 2014 Bodegas Muga Rioja Selección Especial – Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (7/12/2019)
Vineyard planted in 1900. Serious old vine offering. Wood, mushrooms, leather, chocolate, floral and dark currants. On the finish picks up the classis oak/vanilla character. Long finish! Complex wine and another stellar effort from Muga. (94 pts.)
- 2014 Bodegas Sierra Cantabria Rioja Reserva Unica – Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (7/12/2019)
Earth, wood, floral and spice. On the finish picks up some hints of raspberries and strawberries. Medium plus finish and good acidity. Age for another 5 years. (91 pts.)
- 2012 Señorío de San Vicente Tempranillo Rioja San Vicente – Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (7/12/2019)
This is drinking well right now. Powerful nose featuring wood, dark chocolate, licorice and leather. Palate is full of flavors and medium plus finish. This is classic style that should age for another decade. (92 pts.)
- 2013 Jorge Ordoñez & Co. #4 Esencia – Spain, Andalucía, Málaga (7/12/2019)
A mind blowing wine. The slopes they are farming these grapes is crazy! Concentration overload. Honeysuckles, dried apricots, slate, orange marmalade and mango. Super long finish. One of the best dessert wines I have ever tasted. A real gem. (97 pts.)
- 100 year old Muscat de Alexandria vineyards used for Botani & Jorge Ordonez dessert wines cling to the steep slopes high above the city of Malaga on Spain’s southern coast.
Some of the above wines to taste again with the always solid Breca and the Sierra Salinas Mo is a really good value wine.
- 2016 Bodegas Ordoñez Rueda Old Vines Nisia – Spain, Castilla y León, Rueda (7/12/2019)
Nice wine with floral, stone and pear, white nectarine and spice. Short to medium finish. (89 pts.)
- 2015 Jorge Ordoñez & Co. Moscatel Old Vines Botani – Spain, Andalucía, Sierras de Málaga (7/12/2019)
This is flavorful and a great value. Red currants, licorice, violets and Asian spices. Medium plus finish. Drink now to 2024. (90 pts.)
- 2013 Bodegas Sierra Cantabria Rioja Crianza – Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (7/12/2019)
Solid every day drinker. Red currants, funk, earth and minerals. Medium plus finish. (90 pts.)
- 2015 Bodegas Breca Garnacha Breca – Spain, Aragón, Calatayud (7/12/2019)
Love this under $20 offering. Floral, cherry, minerals, stone and earth. Medium plus finish/good acidity. Drink now. (90 pts.)
- 2018 Bodegas Sierra Salinas Mo – Spain, Valencia, Alicante (7/12/2019)
Very good QPR wine. Fragrant nose with cherry, blueberries, floral and minerals. Good concentration and a crowd pleaser. Drink now to 2022. (88 pts.)
100 year old Muscat de Alexandria vineyards used for Botani & Jorge Ordonez dessert wines cling to the steep slopes high above the city of Malaga on Spain’s southern coast.